Sunday, February 28, 2010

Marathon morning through mile 6


Saturday morning started early for me. I woke up around 5:00 because I wanted to make sure that I didn't forget anything, even though I set everything out the night before from socks to IPOD.

I met AP downtown and we got in line. There is an enormous amount of people in line for the start. They put everyone in corals, which means slow people in the back. We were in the back! After the national anthem, I could see that people were starting to go, but it would be 6-7 minutes before we crossed the start line.

Our plan was to average 11:00 minute miles and finish under 5 hours. The first 6 miles were easy. AP was like a robot. Right, left, repeat. He set the initial pace a steady 10:20/mile (oops). The weather was perfect, there was a slight breeze and plenty of sun. This first quarter of the race was generally shoulder to shoulder people. There was never a time when you couldn't reach out and touch 4-5 other runners.

By the time we reached the 6 mile mark, everything is going smooth, we are going to dominate this race and beat our goals! (miles 7-13 tomorrow).

No comments:

Post a Comment