Thursday, March 25, 2010

All kinds of stuff

I guess this is my blog and I can post whatever I want. If you don't like it, then you can just be wrong.

1. Carrie turned in her two week notice this week and will go to part time starting the middle of April. I know that it will make things easier on her and ultimately will be better for Emily. I am just amazed at the pink mafia. There are tons of "good for you" and "it's best" type comments. Exactly how do they know? If I was to announce that I was quitting my job to take care of the kid, I can guarantee there would be lots of raised eyebrows. Why the double standard?

2. I realized this week that nothing is more polarizing that politics! I read through several arguments of people for/against the healthcare bill. One thing that I read a lot is that it is the "right thing to do", and that it "only affects the rich".

I believe that it is hard to take a moral stand for something that costs you nothing. The true beauty of giving is the sacrifice. If you will remember, David was going to create an alter to God and a man wanted to donate the land to David and the wood and supplies too. David refuesed and said, "[I will not] offer burn offerings to the Lord my God with that which costs me nothing" (2 Samuel 24:24)


If you truly believe that it is "the right thing to do" then how much are YOU willing to pay? If the answer is zero, then the double standard is revealed. If it is right, then you should willingly give! If you believe that the right thing to do is to give blood, yet you have never given, how much should I listen? If you believe it is right to give money to those without healthcare and you haven't given to these people, how much should I listen?

This is one thing that I struggle with. I know that I should be compassionate. I know that I should help others, and I know that I don't do enough. Truth is, we are ALL rich! If you are reading this on a computer or cell phone, then you are rich! (just ask the people in Haiti) It is just more comfortable to say "the rich" and define them as people who make more than me, fact is, I got a house, two cars, a computer, two TVs....I got more than most and chances are so do you. Should I give willingly, or should I wait for government legislation forcing me to give, or even better, shoud I support a bill that forces others to give! Even better?

3. One more healthcare bill note. Part of the bill will require all restaurant with more than 20 locations to print the calorie count on the menu, because this will improve healthy eating....hmmmmm. How did this work for warnings on cigarettes? How did this work for warning on beer/alcohol? Fact is, government can't save us from us. People are lazy and cheeseburgers are easy. By now, if you don't know that a bacon cheeseburger is bad for you, you got bigger issues. Of course it is, but I can drive through and get one and it tastes good.

I would love to know your thoughts on these things. If you have intelligent, well thought out comments, feel free to leave them. (remember, ignorance will be censored!)

No comments:

Post a Comment