Thursday, April 1, 2010

OH NO!

As I hold baby Emily, I catch a whiff of unpleasantness. Carrie won't be home for at least 30 mintues, so I guess I'm on my own on this one. She is in a very good mood, so this shouldn't take but a second.

I pick her up and set her on her changing table, a small dresser about 3 feet high with a changing pillow on top of it, and all of her gear in a basket (wipes, diapers, powder, etc.) I pull off her shoes and pants and see that we have a "problem." Seems that Emily scored a victory over Mr. Pampers, and consequently over Mr. Onsie too. I realize now that I am going to have to strip her down and change all of her clothes. So I get the messy diaper off, and reach for the wipes....none left.

What do you do, when you have a half naked baby with poop all over the place and no wipes? Well, the wipes are in the closet about 5 feet away...do you see a bad idea forming in my head? I take one giant step toward the closet and grab the wipes and return to the table....wrong box. This box of wipes has clothes that she has outgrown. So I again take one giant step toward the closet locate the wip....OH NO, the baby rolling off the changing table!

I dove across the room and reached her just as she hit the floor. I was able to catch "most" of her, but she still took a bump. Did she break anything? Does she have a concussion? Is she breathing? All of this worry creeps up on me. Luckily, I caught enough of her that there wasn't even a bruise. She cried for about 30 seconds, probably more from my reaction than the fall. If I didn't feel bad enough, now I have poop all over me, her and the floor. I finally got everything cleaned up and she quickly returned to a very happy baby. As for me, I just want to apologize to her and have her say, "no big deal, I'm good."

As a parent, you are not allowed an off day or even an off second. I can only imagine what happens when they start walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment