Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Done!

The last stretch of the marathon seemed to be the easiest. AP rejoined me to go across the line. There was the final left turn, then you could see hundreds of people on both sides of the street cheering, laughing, and enjoying a perfect day. AP points out Carrie and Emily. They wave, smile and take pictures. By now, my legs are on fire and I've been trying to run on my heels so my calf would stay stretched. (notice the picture. You can tell I am running funny to accommodate my calf.)


When the finish line was visible, you could see the crowd, you could see the large balloon arch, and you could see the finish line. At that point, I really felt like I was going to cry. I don't know if it was from the physical pain, or the emotional joy, or countless things in between. Because I am too proud, I held back and made a mean face, because I am a MAN. Maybe I'll punch a wall later!


I crossed the line, the announcer said my name and I FINISHED! Just as I crossed, a nice lady says congratulations and puts a medal over my head. Carrie and crew came over, congratulated AP and me as we all walked to get free stuff. As a finisher, I got a nice shirt, and a bag of samples and stuff. AP tried to get me to go to the medical tent to get an IV of fluids, but again I am too proud. I've earned this pain and I've earned this hurt.

Notice the picture, not a drop of sweat on me, AP is wet and shiny, I'm dry as a bone! I finished a marathon. I was good enough to realize that I can do it, but bad enough where I gotta do another and keep it together.
Random Marathon Things:
* There are hundreds of volunteers that make this race possible. People handing out water, people handing out medals, and countless other that help you through all 26.2
* There are dozens of people along the route that are just well wishers. Not associated with the marathon, but people who live along the route that root for and encourage everyone.
* Running with a partner is the best thing you can do to run a marathon
* Running with a partner is the worst thing you can do to run a marathon
* Having family and friends to support me is the only way I could have realistically made it. A friendly face along the way is better than a strong wind at your back (but I would prefer both)
* There is no chance that the weather could ever be that perfect on race day.
* If you ever run one, wear the shirt the next day. I got a couple of extra, "congrats" at lunch and at the grocery store on Sunday.
* I'm not sure I whether I would have finished without AP, but either way, I was glad to have him. He was both a coach and a friend on the course. He served our country in Iraq, so he was already a hero to us all, but he was my personal hero Saturday.
If anyone is in the mood to run one, I can't encourage you enough. Provided you do the training and have realistic goals for yourself, it is a life goal that can be crossed off and never taken away. I feel like a boxer that got beat up for 12 rounds, but got hooked on the sport! I'm running again tomorrow...6 miles. Wanna run?

No comments:

Post a Comment