Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Crying Baby

Well, Baby Emily has colic and reflux, and she cries and cries and cries.

I got to thinking last night as I held a screaming baby. (anything to divert my attention from the little scream machine) I thought how awful it was that she is in pain and there is nothing I could do about it. I even thought about registering a complaint. Then I realized, I've got a great baby, and several years ago, I lost a cousin to childhood leukemia. I know my aunt and uncle would go to no end to hear him cry again. Is a crying baby really that bad?

Then I was reading through Facebook at all of the status updates: headache, lack of sleep, I hate Monday, problems with kids at school, etc. We sure do complain a lot. It's ironic that someone sitting at home in a nice home, typing on a computer with internet connection, while watching a plasma TV in the air conditioned room would be complaining about anything. What percentage of the world's population would love such "problems"?

Then, I remembered "Big John" in Sunday school a few weeks ago. Try praying and not asking for anything. It is almost impossible! We want more and more and more. My goal is to be at least twice as thankful as needy. That is, say thanks for at least twice as many things as I ask for. Here's a start

Complaint Change to
Baby Crying Thanks for the addition to our home
Lack of sleep Thanks for a warm bed
Bad Weather Thanks for all of the sunny days, and thanks for watering the Earth.
Headache Thanks for the ability to run and play basketball
Monday Work Thanks for providing me a job
Government/Taxes Thanks for freedom!

I'll leave you with a quote from the great Montgomery Burns, "I would take all that I have and gladly trade it in to have just a little bit more."

No comments:

Post a Comment